I think the hardest thing about writing is deciding what to write about. It isn’t that there is nothing to choose from. There is everything! Looking at a blank sheet of paper is like perching on a dragon’s pile of gems, only able to pick what I can fit in my pocket.
I worry whether the piece that I choose to display will be beautiful to anyone else. When I hold up what I've carefully selected and polished to fresh, unbiased eyes, the nagging fear isn’t so much “Will they like it?” as “Will they value it?” When others value what we share I think that affirms its worth to us.
It’s unlikely that you'll value it just as I do. People rarely appreciate something in exactly the same way. But even when we’re looking at opposite faces of a gem, we share our appreciation of its beauty, affirm its intrinsic worth, and we face one another.
So I bend down and run the jewels through my fingers. I realize there is no wrong choice. One at a time, I’ll bring them out, and, when we’ve looked at them together, we’ll both be richer.
J
No comments:
Post a Comment