Wednesday, September 19, 2012

knowing what we don't know

I was looking up information about a current event with my two oldest kids (12 and 14). We found some data and spent time looking at what each aspect of the information meant. After a lot of digging and dissecting, they realized how much more we would have to research to actually get to the bottom of the issues.

It was wonderful to see them understanding that we still didn't have enough information to form any kind of educated opinion on the situation. It's something that I haven't seen them grasp very well in the past. I think we all, especially when we're young, can have a tendency to take partial data and form an opinion too quickly without spending the effort it takes to make sure we really understand.

I found it rewarding to see them learning the value of being able to know when we don't yet know.

No comments:

Post a Comment